Friday, February 8, 2013

Week 37... Will You Be My Valentine???

Greetings:

Well, Valentine's Day is one week away...  next Thursday"Will you be my Valentine?"  How many times in Elementary School did we ask that question of our classmates on card exchange day?  Since we were tee tiny little, we have been "programmed" to exchange cards, maybe candy, and "send" flowers as we got older (if we could afford it) on Valentine's Day.  My question is:  Is everybody "on board" with that???  Do you agree that on Valentine's Day, it is necessary to send flowers, or present a card, or buy a box of chocolates for the one you love to show that person that you "love" them.  Are we at a point where, if you don't, they will feel unloved, or that you were not thinking of them on that one day of the year??? 

After reading a recent Blog, Rum-Punch Drunk, from a Blogging friend, I have been thinking about Valentine's Day, what it truly means, and I am wondering what are your thoughts regarding my post today.  I would love to read your comments, either at the bottom of this Post, or on Facebook, where a lot of you comment.  Don't be shy...  Let me know what you're thinking.

The Blog, Rum-Punch Drunk, for his post last week, and with Valentine's Day around the corner, asked a simple question:  "What would you do for love?"  I would love (no pun intended) for you to click on his link above or below and check it out.  What seems to be a simple question is not really so simple.  And he received boat loads of responses, all of them very interesting and well said. 

To send or not to send...

So, Rum-Punch Drunk got me to thinking about Valentine's Day and what it means to people.  Through the years, I have heard both sides of the "argument" on whether or not to "send" flowers, candy, and/or cards to the one you love.  There are those that, without fail, each Valentine's Day, send their wife, girl-friend, or significant other, one or more of the aforementioned flowers, etc.  Then, there are those that are opposed to the "Commercialization" of Valentine's Day entirely and refuse to "participate."  I probably fall somewhere in the middle, in that on Valentine's Day, I might prepare a nice dinner and serve some wine, along with a card... but then again, that's pretty much every night at our house, without the card.  Ha!!!

In doing just a "tee-tiny" amount of research on Valentine's Day History, I found on infoplease.com that V-Day has Roman roots.  It says that the history of V-Day is "obscure, and further clouded by various fanciful legends."  The holiday's roots are in the ancient Roman festival of Lupercalia, a fertility celebration commemorated annually on February 15.  Pope Gelasius I recast this pagan festival as a Christian Feast Day circa 496, declaring February 14 to be St. Valentine's Day."

Further, it states, "Most scholars believe that the St. Valentine of the holiday was a priest who attracted the disfavor of Roman emperor Claudius II around 270. At this stage, the factual ends and the mythic begins.  Probably the most plausible story surrounding St. Valentine is one not focused on Eros (passionate love) but on agape (Christian love): he was martyred for refusing to renounce his religion."

The site goes on to say, "Over the centuries, the holiday evolved, and by the 18th century, gift-giving and exchanging hand-made cards on Valentine's Day had become common in England."  Eventually, the "exchanging" spread to the American Colonies.  It was not until the 1850's, however, that the tradition of Valentine's cards became widespread in the United States, "when Esther A. Howland, a Mount Holyoke graduate and native of Worcester, Mass., began mass-producing them."  Smart lady???  I think so.

And finally, infoplease.com says that, "The holiday has become a booming commercial success.  According to the Greeting Card Association, 25% of all cards sent each year are Valentines."  Yikes!!!  Esther had it figured out way back when!!!

Now, I'll say this (my 2 cents):  True love for your "partner" is 24/7/365...  On July 23rd, as an example, of any given year, I can unequivocally state that I love Donna just as much as I have and will on any February 14th.  So, on Valentine's Day, I, myself, don't feel the need to send her flowers to remind her that I love her.  She knows that I have mad love for her every single day.  Also, as a rule, I don't want her "waiting" all day expecting flowers to arrive wherever she is on that day.  If I am going to send flowers to Donna, and I do, she is going to get them when she absolutely least expects them and can therefore, be truly surprised by them.  Sometimes, I get her a card, sometimes, I don't.  But, I feel like I show my "love" for her in so many different ways each day and I am not bound by the Valentine's Day flowers, candy, and card industry.  But man, when she looks at me and smiles, to this day, I can't fully describe the "feeling" that comes over me...  but I can tell you my insides are screaming: "Wow, I love this woman."  I'm blessed every day of the year to be in love with, and loved by, this very special wife, my Donna.  And I don't need February 14th to remind me of that.  So, what are your thoughts??? 

And Now, Just For Grins...  My "Love" Music

Music #1I have always been a Beach Boys fan and this song is one of my all time fave's.  From 1966, God Only Knows, and it contains the lyrics,"God only knows what I'd be without you."  Without Donna, I'd be "up a creek without a paddle."  Give it a listen. 

Music #2I have a track from my man, Al Green, who just exudes sexy and love in his songs.  Here, Let's Stay Together, one of his best from 1972, contains the lyrics, "Woman let's, let's stay together, loving you whether, whether times are good or bad, happy or sad."  You can't beat that.  Give it a listen. 

Music #3And finally, I have to include a song from The Pretenders from 1994, that is absolutely one of my fave's and I always think of Donna when I hear this song...  I'll Stand By You, and it contains the lyrics, "Take me in, into your darkest hour, and I'll never desert you...  I'll stand by you."  Wow!!!  Pretty powerful.  Give it a listen.

Now, I have to add that just this morning, at 5:30am, while driving to work, I had to laugh when a Dean Martin song started playing on my Pandora (from the Frank Sinatra station, Donna's, not mine)...  "You're Nobody til Somebody Loves You."  How funny is that???

Ok, on to other things...  Like a Puzzle Update:

From before...
...And as of today:  OK, I'm taking it slow (but surely)
Recipe'sI've been spending a lot of time on Pinterest lately, mainly collecting recipe's for my Food & Drink Board.  I found one recently that I tried this week and it was pretty amazing and I thought I would share it with you here.  From Bev Weidner's site, BevCooks.com, I tried her Shrimp Pasta with Tomatoes, Lemon and Spinach, and Donna and I both thought we could and would serve it to "company."  You will find your smile with this in front of you.

Market WatchIn the last week, the Market has gone over 14,000, which is amazing.  It has since settled back just below the mark, but it is still "right there."  Facebook dropped back as well, closing yesterday at 28.65, down a couple of points from last week. 

The EndAnother week in the books.  I so appreciate you stopping by and checking in at Slu's World.  Hope to see you back next week.  Thank You.

Be safe, be smart, and always smile...  It's "Happy Friday"

adios...  vaya con dios

18 comments:

  1. While everyday at my daughter's house is valentines, the only reason I can see for the holiday, would be for the kids. It is not like when we were growing up. A lot of kids parents don't raise them these days, and some that do shouldn't be. One day a year some get to feel that someone cares about them. The teachers at Era make sure everyone gets the same amount of valentines. This is an advantage in a small school. The hugs the teachers give them at the end of the day, are the only ones they will receive. Yes, you and I love our grand children. All kids are not that fortunate. I say valentines is for the kids. cuz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree cuz... hard to take it away from the little ones. It's all about the candy, huh??? lol

      Small towns do have some advantages...

      Thanks for checking in, your cuz

      Delete
  2. I've never been a huge fan of valentines day. It definitely seems like a commercial holiday to me. But a well timed and amusing e-card never goes amiss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!!! We love e-cards...

      Thanks for checking in, Slu

      Delete
  3. VD. Yes, we were THAT childish in high school; we called it VD day. This was way before the red and pink M&Ms made their way to the shelves as soon as CHristmas was put away..I hate that. I remember flowers and cards being huge back then.
    I must admit I'm a romantic and love the assorted chocolate heart thing. Oh, who are we kidding? I love chocolate any day. Still, the man goes out of his way to write a letter that makes me cry each year. I don't know if it's the holiday itself, or that its a reminder to get that letter written. No matter.
    We make a big deal about the kids writing their valentines for everyone. When else can you say "I love you!" to everyone you know in elementary school without getting punched in the neck? Haha
    Happy VD AND Happy Friday, Slu :)
    -MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Double M... Who can turn down chocolate???

      I love that my Man writes a letter. That's pretty cool. Good for him.

      Absolutely a kid thing. Ha!!! Thanks for checking in, Slu

      Have a great weekend FB friend!!! lol

      Delete
  4. I must admit that when I was young it was all about Valentines Day, because once a year would get a number of unsigned cards, and you'd spend all day thinking about who loved you, who wanted to go out with you etc etc.. Those were the days Slu. As I got older I guess it just fizzled out and so did my looks, as the cards weren't so forthcoming, ha ha ha.

    I just love to hear people talk about their romantic love life at this time of year. Everyone is excited about what they are going to cook their loved ones for that special dinner or what restaurant they are going to. Some people 'think' that their boyfriends are going to 'pop' the big question so they go to work with a sense of expectation. As you walk down the streets on Valentines Day where I live, you can see all the women dressed up coming from work with large bunches of flowers, blushing as they go by. So romantic.

    The flip side happens the next day, as some of them same people curse their partners for not buying into the flowers, chocolates, engagement ring etc. Such venom spews out 24 hrs later. Just makes you think what their love was all about.
    Slu, anyday can be a Valentine Day, I don't allow the world to tell me when to love and/or what to buy. Expect the unexpected when you least expect it, I say. Oh Al Green 'Let's stay together' is gonna get me into trouble tonight. Thanks for the mention and link too. :) and interesting history behind Valentines Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking in Buddy...

      I agree with what you say above... I like to think that "any day can be a Valentine's Day" too. It's how I try to live regarding my "woman."

      Al Green: LOL... have fun.

      Thanks again for letting me use your link... have a great weekend, Slu

      Delete
  5. I'm on my lap top, so I can finally write a comment! I always enter your blog through Google+ on my iPhone and for some reason the Ap is full of bugs. ANYWAY, this post reminded me of something I read last year. A Daddy was bagging out Mothers Day for similar reasons. Here's my take; sadly, the world isn't full of Slus who worship their lady on a daily basis. I'm not slagging my guy off here, he's just busy at the moment. Really damn busy, so it's not too strange for me to feel a tad bit unloved every now and then. He's got three babies under 4, a full time job and a dissertation to complete by March - I'm not making excuses for him. However, it's a relief for me that everyone else out there is forcing him to THINK about love. Without me complaining, the world is yelling - hey, Dude, think of your woman this week! Hmmmm, I wonder if he'll have the time to listen...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josie B... I HEAR you!!! And here is hoping that "Hubs" can make it ALL work. Sounds like he has a lot on his plate, God Bless him, and I hope he can find the time this week to let you "know."

      When you say, "the world isn't full of Slu's," please know this: I'm on my 3rd marriage!!! It took #3 for ME to find the "love of my life."

      I love your comment(s)... A different side of you. Smiling!!!

      Thanks for checking in, Slu

      Delete
  6. Valentine's Day is way overrated and commercialized. It's ridiculous the amount of jewelry commercials on TV right now--I feel sorry for all the fellas out there because of the pressure this so-called "holiday" puts on them. Why do we need a special holiday to declare our love? Every day should be Valentine's Day! Hey, I'd never say NO to a box of chocolates or anything but I'd be crushed of my spouse only wanted to send flowers or a sweet card one day out of the year to "prove" his love. That stuff doesn't even really matter---it's all about trust and "being there" for the other person. I'm sure I felt differently when I was young and single but nowadays.....it's just...overrated. I'd be happy just to sit in my garden with take-out Chinese food and a bottle of good wine on Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meno Mama... I'm with you (as usual) and if we were nearby, the whole "garden" thing sounds amazing (on a beautiful night with some soft smooth jazz in the background: wow!!!).

      Thanks for checking in, Slu

      Delete
  7. Growing up, when I thought of what a successful, happy and loving marriage looked like, I would think of my grandparents. Though I still see theirs that way, as an ideal marriage, now I think of yours. I love you both so much. Thanks for making my momma so happy, as well as the rest of us. I couldn't ask for a better family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... now you just put a great big ol' smile on my face!!! We love you back and wish nothing but the best for you/y'all. If I could pass on anything regarding your "new" situation, it would be:

      Wake up each day knowing what you have is Special and do everything within your power to "protect" that. It's a "two-way" street... you have to give a little, maybe more, to take a little, but don't expect anything. Make Smart decisions. Make Smart decisions. Make Smart decisions. And always Smile, Slu

      Delete
  8. Great advice! Thanks, man. Smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes I wonder if the whole world is run by media, commercials and marketing! I guess its high time that the generation today stopped getting carried away by gimmicks that retailers use to sell their products. That being said, like most of the commentators above rightly said, Love is not limited to materialistic things. There is no one single explanation for 'Love'. It means different things to different people in different cantos of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen... Well said. I totally agree with you.

      Thanks for checking in, Slu

      Delete

Hey Yo... Don't Be Shy!!! I Love Your Comments. Tickle That Keyboard & Tell Me What You Think!!!